When it comes to finding the perfect fit for a jacket, one of the most important measurements to take is that of the shoulders. Getting this measurement right can make all the difference in how comfortable and flattering a jacket feels and looks when worn. Here is a guide on how to measure shoulders for a jacket.
Before taking any measurements, it is important to understand what shoulder measurements mean. Shoulder measurements refer to the distance between the two shoulder seams on a jacket, which sit at the top of the sleeves. This measurement can vary depending on the style of the jacket, but typically ranges between 16 and 20 inches for men and 14 and 18 inches for women.
Follow these steps to accurately measure your shoulders for a jacket:
- Stand up straight with your arms at your sides.
- Ask a friend or family member to help you take the measurement.
- Use a measuring tape to measure the distance between the two shoulder seams on a well-fitting jacket that you already own.
- Take note of this measurement and use it as a reference when shopping for new jackets.
- If you do not have a jacket to measure, you can measure directly across your shoulders from the outer edge of one shoulder to the other. Make sure the measuring tape is level and straight.
- Take note of this measurement and use it to determine your size when shopping for jackets.
- Keep in mind that different brands and styles may have slightly different sizing charts, so always refer to the specific sizing information for each jacket you are interested in.
What if my shoulder measurement falls between two sizes?
If your measurement falls between two sizes, it is usually best to size up to ensure a comfortable fit. You can always have a tailor make adjustments for a more precise fit if necessary.
Can I measure my shoulders on my own?
While it is possible to measure your shoulders on your own, it is generally recommended to have someone else assist you to ensure the most accurate measurement possible.
What if I have sloping shoulders?
If you have sloping shoulders, it may be helpful to take additional measurements to ensure a good fit. You can measure the length of your shoulder slope, as well as the distance from your neck to the top of your shoulder.
What if I am in between men’s and women’s sizes?
If you are in between men’s and women’s sizes, it may be helpful to try on both to see which fits best. Women’s jackets tend to be more fitted and tailored, while men’s jackets may have a boxier fit.
Accurately measuring your shoulders can help you find a jacket that fits well and feels comfortable.
Always refer to the specific sizing information for each jacket you are interested in, as sizing can vary between brands and styles.
Measuring your shoulders is an important step in finding the right fit for a jacket. By following these steps and tips, you can ensure a comfortable and flattering fit for any style of jacket.